Friday, December 18, 2009

No-sew vintage Christmas stockings










I promise I found a video on the Martha Stewart site on how to make these stockings but now I can't find it anywhere on there! I tried to remember as best as I could what I saw on the how-to video to replicate these stockings. What caught my eye was the no 'sewing required'...since at the moment I don't have a sewing machine. They were super easy to put together.
Here are some of the materials I used:
  • German Glass Glitter
  • A red brocade material (or you can do any vintage type of material)
  • Digital reprints of postcards from the early 1900's (even better if you can find some real ones at a flea market. I didn't have time.)
  • Fabric Glue
  • Buckram
  • Pinking Shears (for the toes and tops)
I found that the German Glass Glitter gives it a more vintage look than just normal glitter glue. I had to get mind off ebay but I think it was worth the effort. It is actual crushed glass so it's not for kid's projects. I wrote each of our names and Merry Christmas on each stocking with a liquid stitch clear drying adhesive. Then I sprinkled the glitter over it and let it dry. I just love it when the light catches them now that I have them hanging from the mantel.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I LOVE how they turned out, Rachel! :)