Friday, April 29, 2011

Perfectly Royal Scones


This morning I gave into my hopelessly romantic side and got up at 4am to watch a certain royal wedding. The night before I had baked some scones for this momentous occasion. When my alarm went off, I groggily made my way to the kitchen and put some water on to boil for some tea to accompany my scones. I felt so British. ha!
The scone recipe I found on www.allrecipes.com was amazing! My scones have had a history of turning out hard and tasteless but these were soft, airy and slightly sweet. You can customize them with your favorite dried fruit, chocolate chips or whatever you might want to add. I baked mine plain and added some blueberry preserves on top. YUM!


Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 5 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup milk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter. Mix the egg and milk in a small bowl, and stir into flour mixture until moistened.
  3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Roll dough out into a 1/2 inch thick round. Cut into 8 wedges, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
  4. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.


No comments: