Saturday, March 1, 2008

Stressed Out?


   "Ask any woman today how she's doing, and there's a good chance the answer will be "busy!" or "Exhausted" Overcrowded schedules and stressed-out lives seem to be the order of the day. I don't think the issue is just a matter of how much we have to do. If it were, all we'd need is a vacation. But you've probably had the experience, as I have , of taking time off, only to come back more exhausted than when you left. I'm convinced that one of the major reasons we can't handle the demands of day-to-day living is that our spirits are weary. 

   Our souls need to be restored. And that is another purpose of setting aside time to be alone in God's presence each day. As we walk through each day, responding to the needs of those around us, we can become physically, emotionally, and spiritually depleted. God has a never-ending supply of grace, strength, and wisdom available that He wants to flow through us to others. And we need to keep coming back into His presence to get our supply replenished. 

   The circumstances and demands of a typical day may cause us to fall wearily into bed at night. But when we awake in the morning, His mercies are new and fresh (Lamentations 3:23). If we fail to stop and draw from His fresh, infinite supply of mercy and grace, we will find ourselves having to operate out o our own depleted, meager resources. The psalmist knew what it was to get his soul restored in the presence of God. Many of the psalms begin with expressions of fear, terror, anger, frustration, or confusion. But as he pours out his heart to the Lord, his whole perspective is changed, and he receives a a fresh infusion of supernatural hope and strength."(DeMoss, "A Place of Quiet Rest", pgs.59-61)


Hear my cry, O God; 
listen to my prayer.
From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint:
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.
I long to dwell in your tent forever 
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
Psalm 61:1-4

No comments: